Are you a ‘scent’sible dog owner?

Scented oils and candles can be dangerous for dogs because they contain essential oils, which are highly concentrated plant extracts. These oils can be toxic if ingested, inhaled, or if they come into contact with your dog’s skin.

Some oils, like tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and eucalyptus oil, can cause serious health issues in dogs such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and even liver failure if ingested.

Burning candles or using diffusers can also release fumes that can be harmful to a dog’s respiratory system if they are inhaled in large quantities. This can lead to irritation of their eyes, nose, and throat, and can cause respiratory issues such as coughing, sneezing and breathing difficulties.

Not all oils are toxic to dogs and some oils are used for therapeutic purposes such as lavender, chamomile and ginger oils, but it would be wise to consult with a veterinarian before using any oils on or around your dog.

It’s important for you as a dog owner to be aware of these dangers and take precautions to keep your dog safe. Keep these products out of reach of your dog and use them in well-ventilated areas. If you suspect your dog has been exposed to toxic oils or fumes, please contact your veterinarian immediately.